Civil Litigation Lawyer Abbotsford - When a business goes through financial difficulties, it is important to choose the right team to assist your business through the necessary processes. These may include business restructurings, insolvencies and bankruptcies. Our Business Restructuring and Insolvency Team has a wealth of knowledge so as to help you handle these situations. Our lawyers are uniquely positioned to give advice and representation, resulting in timely, efficient, and strategic solutions.
Our clients come from many different enterprises within industries like for example biomedical, airline, automotive, communications, construction, entertainment, funeral, financial services, healthcare, manufacturing, marketing, insurance, mining, technology, steel, natural resources, real estate and retail. Our lawyers can assist you with the difficulties of cross-border proceedings administered under either Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code or the Canada Companies' Creditors Arrangement ("CCAA"). We have extensive skill with domestic and multi-national business reorganizations and restructuring, whether informal or court-supervised. Bankruptcy and Insolvency restructuring legislation within Canada and the United States have a similar debtor-in-possession focus; then again, the laws of the two jurisdictions are different enough to need those involved in cross-border procedures to be well-informed about both jurisdictions. In recent years our lawyers have advised stakeholders and intermediaries within a lot of the largest insolvencies and restructurings under the CCAA, the Winding-Up and Restructuring Act, and the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act ("BIA").
Timely access to the needed professionals could tip the scales in favour of a positive result throughout insolvency and business restructuring. Our team draws upon the depth and breadth of different skilled members within our global business in all legal fields related to business reorganizations. Our company has professionals in mergers and acquisitions, banking and securitizations, private and public equity, labour and employment, real property and intellectual property, and governmental relations. In cases of insolvency requiring advocacy before trial and appellate courts, our team provides skilled litigators.
Our services to a wide range of stakeholders include the following:
1. We assist those financially challenged companies on the options and alternatives of restructuring, which comprises the creating and directing of formal restructuring proceedings under the BIA and the CCAA.
2. In relation to companies in financial distress, we advise board members and the special/independent committees of public and private corporations.
3. In relation to insolvent business debtors, we advise in the context of cross-border restructuring procedures, to institutional and non-regulated lenders, members of and agents to operational, term, second-lien and asset-based lenders, lending syndicates, distressed debt investors, trust indenture trustees, bondholders, ad hoc and formal noteholders committees, and hedge fund and private equity investors.
4. We advise formal and ad-hoc creditors committees in cases being administered under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code related to cross-border and Canadian restructuring proceedings.
5. We advise secured creditors regarding the enforcement of their security, privately and through court-supervised processes and the protections of their rights and interests in insolvency proceedings.
6. We advise trustees in liquidators, bankruptcy, monitors, receivers, interim receivers, construction lien trustees and other court-appointed officers in CCAA procedures and proposals under the BIA, including receiverships and bankruptcies.
7. In relation to defaulting or insolvent debtors, we advise equipment vendors and lessors, suppliers, contracting third parties, and commercial landlords in insolvency and restructuring realizations and proceedings.
8. We advise purchasers obtaining businesses or distressed assets in cases administered under the CCAA and BIA, from trustees in bankruptcy and from privately or court-appointed receivers.
9. We help investment bankers, financial advisors, and other consultants relating to their engagement in insolvency procedures.
10. We provide counsel on various litigation matters arising in the context of business restructuring, bankruptcy, and insolvency cases.
11.We can defend and prosecute in litigating actions and preference actions. These may be for the fraudulent conveyance of assets or the acquiring of urgent relief to preserve and protect assets from dissipation, like mareva injunctions, injunctions, and anton pillar orders.
Click to Download the pdf